Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Maybe I Should Reconsider?

Well, after having my Sony PRS600  for a little while and figuring it out, I may have to reconsider my plan of returning it.

The quick start instruction manual was terrible but I found a great place to learn about it online.

Did you know you could go to You Tube and watch a video on how to operate your E-reader?

I believe you could probably just do a search and get a quick video on about anything you wanted. If you buy a new camera (Margie) and want to know how to use it...go to You Tube and learn the easy way!  This may be something everyone else knows, but this is new to me. I think it would also be helpful in choosing that e-reader, camera, cell phone, computer, or whatever else you are looking at. 

The few  minutes I spent watching the You Tube video really helped me learn how to use the E-reader and I must say, I like it a lot better now.  I found the manual online but it was too long and detailed.  I'll read a paper manual from cover to cover, but I hate reading a manual online. I think it's my generation.  I know I could print it, but I didn't bother.

Anyway, I found out how to use the E-reader's  dictionary.  You just double click on a word and the definition comes up. That's easy enough and it will be helpful when I come across a word I don't know..who knows, I may get smarter. :) 

You can also make notes or highlights  on a page, and it will save it so that you can go back to it later.  You know how some books have so many characters that it's difficult to remember who they are?  I think with this, you could mark the page where they are introduced and then just go back to it if you needed to.

It's also a PDF reader so I'm thinking it may be easier for reading manuals online? You could download the manual and then move it over to the e-reader.

The 600 also has a MP3 player, so you can download songs and listen to them with headphones while reading a book!  You can also put photos on, but since they are in black and white, I don't think I would bother with that.

As far as the screen contrast, I believe this is probably just about as good as it gets.  I think it may take some getting used to.

Thanks Rick for your post about your Sony PR505.  I think I will keep this one now that I've figured the darn thing out!

3 comments:

  1. Just got around to reading your eReader saga. As I read the first post, I was already saying - take it back! Why pay full price for something used? And why was it returned? Who knows!

    I love the idea of watching a youTube video about a new product. Sure would speed up the learning process.

    We must be showing our age. I can remember taking a day of vacation from work, sitting at home out in the sun....reading an Excel manual, cover to cover...and enjoying it! I also remember being frustrated with co-workers who would say, over and over, how do I do this, how do I do that...and me finally saying, read the manual.

    Will be looking forward to your final decision about the eReader. I never thought about using a libray for eBooks - I need to check into that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please keep posting about your reader and how you're getting along with it. Did you ever look at an IPAD?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Margie, I would have taken it back except it's about 45 miles to Tallahassee! I also figured out (duh) that the books that were on the reader were put there by Sony.

    Yeah, I also remember enjoying reading manuals...but that was paper, I don't enjoy online manuals for some reason.

    I have been playing with the Sony and I think I do like it. I have down loaded some free books and even was able to get one from Barnes and Noble from an old gift card with a $3 balance.

    Now, I think I'll go on the porch with a glass of wine and try it out.

    Jim and Sandie, no I never tried out the Ipad...too expensive for my budget and I thought it may be a little big for just reading. Do you use one? I know there are lots of e-readers out there now, but I like this one with the online dictionary and the ability to take notes and make notations on the page.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. We love to read them! To contact me directly you can send e-mail to rvtravels2@yahoo.com