Thursday, April 28, 2011

Tornado Outbreak

What a horrible day of devastation and destruction across the south.  My heart goes out to all the people that were in the path of those deadly tornados.  Alabama and parts of northern Georgia got hit very, very hard. 

We are fine here, but did end up spending a little time in the Hidey Hole (tornado shelter).  I am sure going to miss that when we move!

Our local weather forecasters said we should be on the tail end of the bad weather and our chance of anything severe was slim.  However, we should stay on alert.

I get extremely nervous whenever any kind of weather is approaching and that is my greatest fear about our upcoming fulltiming lifestyle. 

About 7 this morning, suddenly things changed and there was a possible  tornado forming nearby.  We scooted down to the tornado shelter and sat there for awhile.  Nothing strong came and we headed back to the motor home.

As I type this, there is another tornado watch just south of us forming near Valdosta.  We’re getting some thunder and lightning.  I sure wish this would hurry and get over with. 

These tornado outbreaks we’ve had this week have confirmed my theory to stay out of the southeast during the spring months.  I believe we’ll stay in Florida until May.  The south is just too unpredictable  in the spring.

 

HOUSE SALE NEWS

Yesterday, I decided to rattle a few cages and see if I could get some info on the status of our house sale.  I know this is how these things work, but it’s very difficult trying to move if you don’t know if it’s happening or not.

I don’t know if they are just blowing smoke to shut me up, but the mortgage broker said she is expecting the paperwork to be out of underwriting today and then they will send the appraiser.  Of course I’ve heard that before. She is estimating our new closing date to be around May 20th.  I expected our original May 6 closing date to be delayed, so it was good to hear that I was right.  We can slow down a bit and take a breath.  Of course we’re having a garage sale tomorrow and Saturday, but after this week-end, we may take a day off!

12 comments:

  1. Glad to know you guys are okay. I've been watching the weather and hoping everyone is safe out there. I agree - spring is a terrible time to be traveling through the mid part of the country. I don't do well in winds or tornadoes or hail storms either.

    Glad you rattled cages. Hopefully this time they are actually telling the truth and they will get the appraiser out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was an awful night here in LaGrange! One large cell went over our area and ended up sitting down in the southern part of Troup County producing a great deal of damage. Very scary!
    Glad you all are ok. I so agree with you. I hate this type of weather in the MH. Thank goodness that is not where we were last night. I also fear the high winds.
    Glad you called and rattled the appropriate cages. It does give you some breathing room. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise God you are okay. I was worried!!

    Hugs Cindy from Rick-Rack and Gingham

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you guys have been staying safe today. Yes, you will miss your little shelter when the winds come up. I agree that May seems like a good month to leave Florida - after those April storms.

    It must be so frustrating to wait on all the real estate stuff. At least you've made the decision to go on a trip if things get delayed much longer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you are staying safe Karen! I can totally understand why you are feeling this way, it's definitely hard to live under such circumstances with this crazy weather. My heart also is with all the victims of the terrible weather catastrophes earlier this week. Hope you get out of there soon enough and safely.
    Regards,
    Victoria New Car Insurance Pro

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been thinking about all of my RVing friends in this stormy time. I too am concerned about weather once we are on the road. I know Craig doesn't take these things as seriously and probably wouldn't go to a shelter until he saw the funnel cloud. (I remember our days in Wisconsin when he would sit outside when I was downstairs in the basement with the children!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. glad to hear that all is well with you and Al..and that you have a 'hidey hole'!!..hopefully you won't need it again for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear you're safe and that the "hidey hole" is close by! Keep rattling those cages - we all know the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
    Decided to go back online to work on our blog - broken computer screen or not! We'll see what we can find for new equipment real soon I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear that you have weathered the storms so far. Hope you continue to stay safe and that the tornados stay out of your area. There sure have been some bad ones this year. Hope everything continues to go well with the house sale. Good Luck with you garage sales this weekend.

    Kevin and Ruth
    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great news to hear you're both o.k. and haven't been hit by the devastating storms and tornadoes! What a tragedy.

    Good news on the house sale too as it inches forward.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, lots going on in your world. Glad you were safe during the tornado storms. My Mom passed along to me a real fear of tornadoes, and I always respect them. On the day of all of the destruction, we had left our RV at 8am seeking shelter, staying in a CVS Pharmacy the first round, a Costco the second round, then further South to Dalton, GA when the major tornado wiped out Rossville. Our RV was within 5 miles of that tornado. We didn't get back to the RV until 11pm that evening, and everything was fine at the campground. A couple of RV's had tree damage, but we were very lucky. We just kept going places where we could see and hear the weather reports, and changed our location when we could. I will never go to bed with possibilty of tornadic weather. My husband always thought I was a little overly cautious during these times, but he too has a new respect for tornadoes. I am with you, I think leaving Florida in May will be best!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Correction, the tornado wiped out Ringgold, GA and not Rossville, GA. Our campground is in Rossville.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. We love to read them! To contact me directly you can send e-mail to rvtravels2@yahoo.com