Saturday, April 23, 2011

It’s Hot in South Georgia

It feels like summertime.  High temps, humidity and lots of mosquitoes!  It feels like summertime, except that it still cools down enough to turn off the a/c at night.

We were up early Saturday morning for the garage sale.  We had a pretty good sale and ended up making $281.  The best part is I unloaded :) one set of china!   One down, two to go!

Sweet Pea came over early in the  morning to help with the garage sale. She loves greeting all the people.  We were worried that she’d end up getting hit by a car with all the people coming and going.  Al took her back home 3 times and 3 times she came right back. 

The third time she came back, she brought her friend the Jack Russell Terrier, with her.  Between the two of them, we were constantly having to worry about them getting run over. We knew she wasn’t going to stay home with all the company at our house. so we decided to try “plan B.” 

We have two large animal cages.  We managed to coax Sweet Pea into the larger one and quickly shut the door!   She wasn’t real happy, but she behaved herself and was safe from getting hit by a car.  Then we decided to try the rambunctious little Jack Russell.   With a few bits of kitty food, she went right in and we locked the gate!

So now, we had two dogs trapped in cages in our garage.  Of course we had to explain to everyone that we weren’t being cruel to these two dogs.  We put a fan on them, so they were nice and cool.  They were so cute in their little jail.

The owners of  Bella, the Jack Russell came to get her later in the morning.  They had heard we had their dog and appreciated us keeping her safe.  One dog down, one to go :)

One reason we had hesitated about having garage sales at our house, is because we didn’t want people wandering around our property.  Yesterday about 4:30 in the afternoon, we had someone else come for the garage sale.  Our signs said the sale ended at 1 pm, but they ignored that.  That wasn’t the worse though.  Sometime after 8pm, we had another garage sale customer!  This lady looked at Al’s big tool box and said she’d bring her husband back.  Well he was working and didn’t get a chance to come back during the day, so they came by last night.  They didn’t buy  the tool box, but I think they’re coming back to get it.  They are interested in a few of the larger tools and maybe even the wood splitter, so we can’t complain too much.  But really….8 pm?

Today is another day and another garage sale.  I’m really not optimistic that closing will go as scheduled on May 6th, but if it does, we will only have 3 more sales here at the house.  We had way too much stuff and the guiltiest party is Al.  I never dreamed he had so many tools!

Time to get moving!

11 comments:

  1. What do you think caused the difference in the number of people at the sale this week? Did you advertise differently?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, guess what, Al will end up buying some new tools once he gets on the road.

    Glad you kept the dogs penned up so they wouldn't get run over. Sweet Pea obviously wants to go on your new adventure. Surely you have room for one more animal...especially after you buy a bigger motor home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the sale. Hope today goes as well. What are people thinking of - showing up at 8:00 pm. You are much nicer than I would be. After working at the sale all morning, the last thing I'd want to put up with is people invading my space and time at night. Good luck today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Garage sales in small towns are funny. I pre-sold most of my tools to my mailman, most of my replica garage/motorcycle signs to a local businessman, and most of my Christmas stuff to my mailman's wife...all outside the main garage sale. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We men never seem to have enough tools....I'm just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the time this is all done, you will be truly experts at the garage sale.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, men are much quieter about their purchases, they always blame us for too many shoes, too much this or that. They definitely have their own stuff. I'll bet it's hard for him to part with some of them.
    I'm glad the sales seem to be going well. When you add it all up, it will be quite a bit of money! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It has always seemed that every job needs new tools! At least you have been in the RV long enough to know which ones he wants to take along.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the garage sale success. Maybe the hot weather brings out buyers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Judy
    I think the additional traffic was helped by us putting up more garage sale signs, and we also advertised in another local newspaper. On Saturday, the church sale up the road, helped us too.

    Margie,
    I remembered reading about some tools Roger regretted selling. I think it was a vise, and Al already said he's bringing his small vise. I'm sure he will end up buying some more though :)

    I'd sure like to take Sweet Pea with me and I'm sure I could talk Al into it...but really a big dog....no way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Judy
    I think the additional traffic was helped by us putting up more garage sale signs, and we also advertised in another local newspaper. On Saturday, the church sale up the road, helped us too.

    Margie,
    I remembered reading about some tools Roger regretted selling. I think it was a vise, and Al already said he's bringing his small vise. I'm sure he will end up buying some more though :)

    I'd sure like to take Sweet Pea with me and I'm sure I could talk Al into it...but really a big dog....no way!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. We love to read them! To contact me directly you can send e-mail to rvtravels2@yahoo.com