Sunday, April 17, 2011

Visit From the Buyers

The buyers came by Friday morning, and seemed to really like the house and property.  They are older than us, and believe it or not have been living in their motor home since February.  I”m not exactly sure why, though.

They have a house and acreage in South Carolina, which they have listed for sale.  She previously had a farm in Florida and he had one in Arkansas, so I would imagine they have some money.   Hopefully if there are any problems with their loan they can throw some extra money down for a down payment.  The FHA loan only requires a 3.5% down payment….surprisingly!    I was able to find out that she is into gardening and he likes to feed the birds!  Yea!  They have 5 small dogs that they dearly love, so they are okay in my book. They still intend to travel in their motor home some. 

I gave him strict instructions on how to keep snakes out of our Bluebird nests.  I held back on telling him what kind of food the birds prefer :)  Maybe later.

One other reason they liked our place is that we have an Rv space with electric, water and sewer.  The water and septic tank were already  on the property,  but Al wanted to have the 50 amp electric hooked up.  So that $150 we spent on the electric, may have sold the house for us!

Anyway, I think they are committed to buying the place and they are doing what they can to get the financing approved.    We’re waiting for it to get out of underwriting so that an appraiser can come out.

Al got back home late Friday afternoon. He was tired, but had to immediately start preparing for the next garage sale. Poor Al…no rest. 

Friday night they were predicting the potential for some severe storms and maybe tornado’s.  

The storms weren’t due  to hit until early morning, so we went to bed early and got a few hours sleep, then up at  3:30 am to monitor the situation.  There were already numerous fatalities from this front, so we were a bit concerned. We  were under a tornado watch and severe thunderstorm alert, but nothing much happened, thankfully.

My biggest concern regarding living full time in the motor home, is that I worry a lot about severe weather.  So much so, that I insisted we install an underground tornado shelter on the property.  It’s going to be a challenge for me.  One thing we know is that we will not be heading north out of Florida during April.  It’s too early and the spring tornado season way too active.  Our travels will be directed to stay out of bad weather  as much as we possibly can.  I think Margie and Roger have the right idea this year…a June departure.

Our next problem was the garage sale Saturday morning.  We only had 3 more week-ends (hopefully) and we can’t afford a washout.  The weather cleared up quickly and we ended up having sunny skies for our sale.   We made about $150 and got rid of a lot of stuff.  Wouldn’t you think we would be about out of stuff by now?  Well we aren’t!

This week, we intend to hit it hard (after morning coffee and internet).  I’m going to see if I can’t get rid of my 3 sets of China (2 Noritake and 1 Sango) and the huge set of crystal glasses.  This is good quality stuff, but I just don’t think people are into fine china and crystal anymore.  It will be a monkey off my back when this is gone!   Wish us luck!

11 comments:

  1. Glad all things went well for you all. Sounds like the new owners will take up where you left off in feeding the birds and caring for the property. Wonderful!!

    I hate bad weather in the motorhome...especially wind. Following the nice weather is the plan!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like that hurdle is past - having the new owners like the property. Maybe you could work a future deal where you could use their hook-ups and keep an eye on the property while they travel.

    I'm scared of bad weather too - more so because Roger isn't concerned about it. I really hadn't thought about tornadoes in April in TN, but that is when we got them a few years ago. I'm glad too that we won't head that way until June.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad the buyers liked your home and that you were spared any horrible weather. Seems other folks were a bit worried as well. Good china and crystal. Sigh. You are so right. I still have mine, inherited only 4 years ago from my foster mother, and hopefully my children might still enjoy it someday, or not. Who knows. My only granddaughter certainly isn't a dinner party kind of girl! It comes out a Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving, and now and then for no reason at all. You remind me why I'm not really ready to do the full time thing. Good for you!! You are doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear the buyers liked your home. Sure seems to take forever for a sale to be finalized.

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad the viewing went well!..and that you are all safe from the storm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad the storm passed you by. What a relief that the new buyers really liked the property they purchased sight unseen and sounds like they will enjoy the bird life.

    Good luck with the last few yard sales.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have one 12 place set of Noritake but I think I'm going to keep it in storage. I'm not sure why, It is not my daughter style at all, and my son will never marry again, but I don't think it will take up too much room.

    He will be keeping 3000 books!

    What have you done with your historic newspapers?

    I'd like to dump our collection, but my daughter said she would take them. It is only one box.

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S. sounds like the buyers are your kind of people.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree - my RV is aptly "Sunseeker." That's pretty much what I'll be doing, too. I've never lived outside of California, and the weather this year in other states would scare me to death! Especially in a 24' tin can! :)
    Hope the garage sale today went well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear all went well with the buyers visit. It is always nice to know you are passing it on to people who appreciate it. Weather is always going to be an issue in our travels but I know I won't let that stop me. We have a good weather radio that I always program for where we are so at least we have some warning. We noticed in Kansas and Oklahoma RV resorts used their storm shelters as a selling point.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just so you know, you are not alone when it comes to being a weather worrier. I am really bad and we try to plot everything according to weather. Jim knows that I just fall apart when things get bad so he's good about doing what he can to reassure me.

    Sounds like things are going good with the buyers. I think he would appreciate knowing what kind of food you put out. So good to know that they will be taken care of when you leave.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. We love to read them! To contact me directly you can send e-mail to rvtravels2@yahoo.com