Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I Had to Drink the Margaritas

A guy that came by last week-end and said he wanted the freezer but couldn’t pick it up until this week.  Since we know how that usually goes, I didn’t think we’d see him again.

He surprised me and called to make arrangements to pick it and the fireplace set up yesterday afternoon.

I moved what was left in the big freezer to the freezer on the refrigerator, but didn’t have room for the big jug of frozen margaritas. Since  I’m not one to waste things… I had to drink it before it melted!  Not really, I only had one, and that one margarita made me sleepy!

So he took the freezer and fireplace tools, so I’m counting that in with last weeks moving sale, so we now have a grand total  $266.

Al had a guy come look at the boat but so far no sale.

We took a truck load of trash to the dump and another truck load to Goodwill.   I said last week we needed to get rid of 1/6 of all our stuff at last weeks garage sale.  We are getting to the point where we are deciding the value of the items and if the potential sale is worth the trouble.  If not, they are going to the dump or Goodwill and won’t have to be handled again.

I went through my drawers and tossed a bunch of stuff and the closets.  I’m going to put a rack of hanging clothes at the sale for $1.00.  Those will be the better things…the others are going to Goodwill.  If I can’t sell these things for $1.00 then I give up!

I have a dentist appointment this afternoon and I need to take Squeaky to the vet.  She is due for some more bloodwork testing to make sure her liver function is still good.  She also has a swollen lymph node in her jaw/neck area so I’m wondering what’s going on there.  She still doesn’t quite seem back to normal.

Thanks for all the suggestions on how to get rid of our stuff.  I have thought about an estate sale, but have wondered if we’d make any money ourselves.  There is a guy in town who does that, so maybe it’ll be something to consider for the remaining items. 

I’m feeling a little better about our progress, but of course it’s early.  I’m sure the closer we get to the end, the less confident I will be.

We’re waiting for the appraiser for FHA .  This could be where we hit a snag.  He may require us to do certain things that will cost us money.  If the house doesn’t meet their qualifications, they won’t give the loan.  Hopefully this will happen this week.

13 comments:

  1. What a shame you had to finish off the margaritas alone. Maybe you should have invited the neighbors over for an impromtu party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom always said waste not want not or something like that.Good luck selling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any excuse to drink a margarita is a good one. :) Sounds like you are making good progress. We donated tons to Goodwill as it wasn't worth the effort to try to sell all the little things and clothes. It is amazing how it all comes down to being "stuff" in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you had to drink the margarita. I'm sure most of us would have been willing to help you out with that. Keep up the good work and it will all come together at the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ain't nothin' better than a tasty margarita. I believe I would have found room somewhere in the freezer for the unfinished margaritas. We wish you continued good luck as you shed your unneeded possessions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad we are in Florida. We would have stopped over and helped you with those margaritas!

    You have made some great progress!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In California every little thing gets its own inspection.

    Unfortunately when we bought the house we were a bit inexperienced and didn't have a septic tank inspection.

    It was only after several years, when we had it serviced because we were having nine house guests at once, did we learn that it is actually to small for this size house. The house has been expanded over the years.

    We have never had a problem, because there are only the two of us here, but I wonder if it is going to be a big problem in selling!

    There really is no "as is" in California. You have to disclose EVERYTHING and even then they will demand the house be like new for the loan.

    I donated tons to Goodwill last year. We really don't have much of value.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you've had lots of offers to assist you in disposing of those margaritas!! What are friends for....right???

    Good luck with the house inspection. I am remembering all the axiety that goes along with the selling of a house. Not fun!
    We will keep our fingers crossed for good results.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you are on the right track..margaritas and all...LOL! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I.M. sayin' that once yer off fulltiming, all this ain't gonna matter none cause yer gonna have a hole bunch of new things to woory bout. Decidin' weather to have a yard sail or a estate sail are nothin' compared to decidin' what kind of tiolet paper to put in yer soon to be, black tank.

    At first it ain't neither the jerny or the destinations. It are why in the world did we bring so much stuff. So if'n ya think it are bad now, just ya wait a while.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did the same thing with the clothes. Priced them at $1 and sold a TON. Rest went to Goodwill. Keep at it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you don't want to haul stuff to the dump, just put a free sign on it at the end of your driveway and you'll be surprised at how fast it's taken away!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know just what you mean about just wanted to get rid of the stuff. I've never had luck with yard sales. They are so much work and anything that costs much more than a dollar is apt not to sell.

    We put things on Craigslist and had good response and Goodwill and the Salvation Army have been getting regular donations for us.

    Just keep at it and you'll notice the progress more and more.

    Sherry
    www.directionofourdreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. We love to read them! To contact me directly you can send e-mail to rvtravels2@yahoo.com