Saturday, September 03, 2011

Wabasso Beach and Sebastian Inlet

Vero Beach, Florida   -  Sunshine Travel Rv Park

I was tired Thursday night and went to bed pretty early.  About 3:30 am Friday morning…I was wide awake. Smile

Pretty soon Al was awake too and we decided to make an early morning trip to the beach to watch the sun rise over the Atlantic Ocean.

We are about 18 miles from Wabasso  Beach.  The sun hadn’t risen by the time we got to the beach, but it was starting to get a little lighter.

The following picture is the path to the beach, through the dunes.

path to the Wabasso Beach

It was a little breezy so the surf was up and the waves were crashing against the shore. 

Wabasso Beach sunrise

As the sun came up further into the sky, the colors changed from pinks and purples to oranges.

It was beautiful.

Wabasso Beach sunrise

IMG_4317

Wabasso Beach sunrise

Wabasso Beach sunrise

Wabasso Beach sunrise

Wabasso Beach sunrise

It was lovely, but the sun was still just a little below the horizon.  The pictures above were taken at Wabasso Beach.  It’s an area where there were a lot of wrecks because of the rock outcropping close to shore.  It is supposed to be a good beach diving location because the reefs start close offshore.  It’s a bit too rough now though.

We walked along the beach a while and enjoyed the sights, sounds and smells of the beach in the early morning hour.

The next picture is an egg casing, but I can’t remember what from.  I used to know, but it escapes me now.  Smile I need to do some research.

Egg Casing

flowers at beach

IMG_4350

We got into the car and drove a short distance to Sebastian Inlet State Park.  There is a nice waterfront campground there, but is mostly for smaller rigs and mostly only 30 amp sites.  I’ll take some pictures of the campground on a later trip….my camera battery died.  Sad smile

The state park entrance fee is $8.00 for a vehicle.  We like to go and stay just a short time so we hated to have to spend the money….but we finally bought an annual Florida Parks pass so we got in free!

It’s a beautiful park with a nice pier.   The area draws a lot of fishermen and surfers.  We were disgusted at what slobs the fishermen were.  There was trash and my personal pet peeve…fishing line, everywhere!

The sun was finally starting to come up over the horizon.

Sebastian Beach Inlet pier

 

Sebastian Beach Inlet fishing

pier Sebastian Inlet

 

Sebastian Inlet sunrise

A Woodstork

Wood Stork at Sebastian Inlet

The bridge over Sebastian Inlet.

Bridge over Sebastian Inlet

Bridge over Sebastian Inlet

It was a lovely morning and just what we needed.  We made a trip to Sam’s Club and Walmart and then went home, had lunch, did some laundry and then had a nap! 

We may do the same thing tomorrow….it just depends on how we feel.  The seas are too rough for kayak diving offshore, so we’ll just wait until things settle down. There is a hurricane somewhere in the Atlantic which is probably causing the rough seas. 

14 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pictures ~ What a beautiful start to your day! We are now up in the woods of Georgia but just North of Florida. Left the Panhandle just in time since Lee was really stiring up the Gulf there. Have fun!!!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pictures and description of the sunrise. Sunrise and sunset over the ocean is one of our favorites. We see a lot more sunsets than sunrises:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should know the name of the egg casing, but like you, I just can't seem to call it forth from my aging brain cells. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to have the beach all to yourself, but that's way too early for me. The nap sounds good though.
    I think the egg sac is from skates or rays.
    Syl

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thinking manta ray. That's what popped into my head first when I saw it, so I'm going with it.

    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could smell the ocean while looking at those photos. You did a great job of taking me there this morning. One of my favorite places was the south carolina coast in December 2007

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pictures of the sunrise over the ocean. Must have been a very peaceful sight so early in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful way to spend a morning when you can't sleep. Gorgeous pictures. And I loved the pick up camper with the air and satellite dish. We see a lot more sunsets than sunrises and I love every one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The best thing about this sunrise is that you saw it because you WANTED to see it, not because you had to get up early for work!

    Craig is a late sleeper. I have falen into that as well in the last ten years. I am looking forward to waking up in the Alfa and taking a sunrise walk, most likely by myself, but that is good too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boy this looks and sounds like the perfect morning.

    I have the same problem when I go to bed too early, I am then awake in what seems like the middle of the night. You guys sure made the best of it!

    Beautiful places that I'm putting on my Florida list. Keep em' coming!

    Sherry
    www.directionofourdreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. The pictures are beautiful. Sunrise is my favorite time of the day. What a great place to spend your early morning!!

    That is a Skate Egg Casing as Syl already mentioned. We were at Huntington Beach right after Hurricane Irene and found several. I wasn't sure either what they were and just finished looking it up.

    We loved our time at Sebastian Inlet area and hope to get back soon. Keep having fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful place to experience a sunrise!! Just awesome!! We just love sunrises and sunsets...especially over the ocean or a big beautiful lake!!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. We love to read them! To contact me directly you can send e-mail to rvtravels2@yahoo.com