Monday, November 18, 2013

Still Waiting and Watching


Blairsville, Georgia (high 63, low 34)


It started drizzling yesterday morning, which gradually led to heavier rain that lasted well into the night.  I did get a chance to crawl under the coach before the rain started and checked for leaks. I’m a little lot more flexible than Al, so I am trying to save him some of the crawling underneath.

No little green drops were found, but I felt some dampness near another clamp. Of course it could have been just dew.  I think I may have smelled some coolant when I touched the area, but was not completely sure.  Just to be on the safe side, Al wants to put a double clamp on that hose as well.  Boy, there are sure a lot of hose connections for the coolant.  You would think there would be one in and one out, but we keep finding more hoses, leading to different parts of the engine.  On the plus side, I did get a nice tour of underneath the engine of our motor home.  :)   I didn’t see any signs of rat, mice, or bird nests.

We did manage to find some of the off brand rescue tape that was the better quality, so Al will tape up the new area before he puts the other clamp on. 

We are planning on heading south tomorrow.  It looks like we should have a few good weather days. 

We have some extra coolant on hand in case we need it.

Paul, of  PDD fame, sent us a very helpful link from RV Cruzer,  regarding what types of coolants you should use for a diesel engine.  It explained in fairly simple terms why regular automobile anti-freeze was not to be used in big diesel engines.   If you have a diesel engine, I would recommend you read the post.  Thanks so much Paul, for the excellent link.

The home page of the RV Cruzer webpage, has some very good information not only on diesel engines, but rv travel, modifications, and much more.  There was a good article on installing MCD shades.  After reading it, I now think we could do it ourselves.  Check it out.  It’s a good web page for RV’ers.


Our hearts go out to the victims of the tornados in Illinois. I sure was glad it didn’t come this way, but I kept a close eye on the weather last night.  Later in the evening, some of those storm bands started heading this way.  I didn’t go to sleep until I was sure everything was quiet.  We got about 2 minutes of strong winds, and then it was gone.   Thank goodness.


Thanks to all of you for your advice on our little leak.  We’re hoping we have it resolved and that is is over kill, but we’d rather spend a few bucks on clamps and tape than a new engine.  We’ll be watching the temperature very closely.


****  Pete and Jean****   I didn’t get an email from you and I couldn’t find your email address.   Can you re-send it?


  1. Looks like you are now clear to head south. Travel safe and good luck with no more leaks.

  2. Good luck on your travels today and hope the coolant problem is not an issue until you reach a place to have it looked at.

  3. Sounds like you are good to go now.

  4. Glad you got some great advice from the experts.

    Safe travels tomorrow.

  5. Who loves ya? :c)

    Always happy to help. I'm a big fan of over kill!

  6. Sounds like you've gone all you can and should be able to get south without any problem. Good to have extra coolent just in case. Safe travels.

    1. sigh............done all you can....this thumb is driving me CRAZY

  7. Regarding the coolant, when we were having issues Freightliner told us we even had to use the same color coolant. We had an RV repair guy help us on a roadside assistance who used green diesel coolant instead of red. We headed to Freightliner right after this service call, and they said we needed to drain the whole system. It can void the warranty if you have different fluid.

    Wishing you safe and Murphy-free travels.


Please feel free to leave comments. We love to read them! To contact me directly you can send e-mail to