Blairsville, Georgia (high 62, low 54)
The weather warmed up, but of course that means another cold front is approaching bringing rain, and possible thunderstorms on Sunday.
We had planned on leaving today, but we had a problem yesterday that we’re hoping is not going to turn into a big problem.
We started the engine so that we could use the onboard air compressor to inflate the tires. We had just aired them up a week or two ago, but the cold weather shrinks the air and our tire monitor was going off alerting us to low air pressure. If you check the air pressure when it’s 70 degrees out, you get a much higher reading then if it’s 20 degrees. We have been told if you’re in colder climates, you need more air, and then if you head south to warmer climates, you might need to bleed a little air out. It sure makes it difficult deciding how much to inflate the tires.
Anyway, after letting the engine run a few minutes while Al aired the tires, we noticed a coolant leak. That tell-tale green fluid. Uh oh. This is not good.
It wasn’t a lot of coolant, but of course any coolant leak is worrisome.
Al tightened a few clamps that were a little loose. He was thinking due to the cold weather, maybe the rubber hoses shrunk a little causing them to become loose. Or they just vibrated loose over time. We were hoping that would solve the problem, but later on we ran the engine again and still saw a few drops leaking out.
Al crawled underneath the coach and thinks it is coming from a hose near where the clamp is attached. We are unsure what to do from here. There is no reliable truck or diesel repair shop in town that we would trust. The nearest Cummins repair shop is a long way away. Do we try and patch it and hope for the best until we can get to a Cummins dealer? Do we have it towed? (that could get real expensive). We have Coach Net roadside assistance, but they will only tow you to the nearest place that can fix the problem, and we would prefer a Cummins dealer.
We went into town and got another clamp and some of that silicone tape that stands up to heat. Al thinks he will try to put the tape on, then put another clamp on along with the main clamp. He was thinking of trying to replace the hose, but the hose has a nearly 45 degree angle, so you would need a special hose. Plus, when I was reading in our manual, it mentioned the system must be filled properly to prevent air locks. So we don’t think Al needs to be tackling changing a hose.
There are no cracks or holes in the hoses that he could see, and the hoses look to be in good shape, at least as far as we could tell.
So….here we sit, trying to figure out what to do. Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
By the time we got a new clamp and the tape yesterday, it was too late in the day to start working on it, plus it was raining. He will work on it today and see what happens.
Once Al puts the clamp and tape on, we will need to make a decision on what to do. If it quits leaking, we’ll probably head south on Monday. It might be a good idea not to travel during the week-end.
The good news is that the weather should be nice all next week. The other good news is that we noticed the leak before we pulled out. The bad news, is we’re so far away from a good diesel repair facility.
The joys of having a home on wheels.