Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Fire From 9 Volt Battery

Wesley Chapel, Florida  (high 76, low 61)

I would imagine most everyone has seen this video about how a home was burned down because of a 9 volt battery.

If not, here it is.   The moral of the story is:   If you have any loose 9 volt batteries, be sure to put some electrical tape on the ends to prevent them coming in contact with any metal objects.

We did not know this.   If you do a Google search, you'll find all sorts of information about the danger of 9 volt batteries.

We've been very busy around here.

We went to the Tampa Rv Supershow last week and found a few interesting things to buy.   No, we did not get a new motor home.  In fact, we didn't see any new rigs that we liked all that well.

We've each had a few doctor appointments,  and are trying to get things wrapped up so that we can head south next week.  

Al's headaches have gotten better, but he did get an MRI yesterday.   We're certainly hoping all turns out well there.  I'm thinking it's sinus issues, and hopefully I'm right.

I have an eye appointment this morning, so I don't have time to write about all the news.  We both had an OOPs moment last week, but you'll have to wait to hear what happened  until I have more time.

We have some rv repairs we're waiting on this week.   As usual, we've been sitting here for 2 months, and everything gets put off until right before we're due to leave town.    I guess, we like the added stress.


  1. Good luck on your doc stuff.. .and hope all will be fixed so you can be ready to roll!

    Karen and Steve
    (Blog) RVing: The USA Is Our Big Backyard

  2. 9 Volt batteries? I think we have those in most of our smoke detectors back home! Yikes - I'll be checking those when we get back...thanks for the tip.

  3. Good luck with getting the repairs done on the Rv and your bodies.

  4. I had not seen that video and had no idea. Thanks for sharing.

  5. I'm running low on my allotted gigabytes for the month, so I'll have to watch that video some other time.

  6. Great inof on the batteries. Never really gave it a thought:(

  7. Don't laugh, but I had a battery experience that is funny now but wasn't at the time. I have an LED flashlight that has some heavy duty lithium batteries in it.

    Well, after five years, the batteries were too weak to light the light so I went in search of new ones. Because they are a specialty battery, I put one in my pocket to match up.

    I was in Sam's Club walking around when my pocket began to burn my leg. I reached in and all my change was too hot to touch and I had to pull my pocket inside out to dump all the change (in a hurry) and all the coins and the battery dumped on the floor.

    I guess the coins completed a circuit with the battery and heated up. People were looking at me funny (you'd think I'd be used to that by now) as I tried to gather all my "hot" cash, scraping it in a pile with my foot because the coins were too hot to pick up. I had to wait a while for them to cool off.

    Needless to say, the battery went in another pocket where there were no coins...

    1. I'm pretty sure that was not funny at the time but it made me laugh this evening.

  8. Hoping Al's MRI shows nothing but what it should. When you do the oppps moment, tell us what you got at the RV show. I'm looking for a reason to go back next year. LOL Thanks so much for the tip on 9 volt batteries. I had no idea.

  9. Thanks for the updates on important stuff like the batteries. Yikes! Good luck with all your appointments...

  10. I didn't know that about 9 volt batteries..thanks for the heads up!!!
    Hope all doctor appointments go well. Good luck with Al's MRI...hoping all checks out fine!!!

  11. Fire safety is always a good topic.

  12. Thanks for the post, and my parents have been looking at new rv's in Lawton. Because after they retire they want to sell their home and just travel the US.


Please feel free to leave comments. We love to read them! To contact me directly you can send e-mail to rvtravels2@yahoo.com