Tuesday, April 08, 2014

New Geezer Bike

 

Cudjoe Key, Florida  (high 85, low 71)

 

Rain and thunderstorms are predicted today, so it looks like another day landlocked.

A few days ago when we heard about the earthquake in Chile, my first thought was to wonder if they might have a tsunami.  My second thought was to wonder what would happen to us if a tsunami should hit the Keys.  It could get interesting, since we’re all of about 3 inches above sea level.   Well, that may be a little bit of an exaggeration.  I just looked it up on my phone app “My altitude”.  We are officially at one foot above sea level.   We wouldn’t do well during a tsunami, would we?

 

Since it was too windy for boating yesterday, our goal  was to find Al and I a nice used bike.  We want something that is comfy for riding around the park.  You know, a good geezer bike.  Big cushy seat, nice curved handlebars.

We looked on Craigslist and found one for me.   The guy selling it was your typical Key Wester.  He looked like a hippy from the 60’s.  He was a real nice guy and was selling the bike for a friend who had a family emergency and had to leave the Keys.  He fixed up her bike for her before she found out she wouldn’t be able to come back.

As it turned out, he (Tim) was a cat lover too and had three beautiful Jungle Curl cats.  I had never heard of them before, but they were beautiful and sweet cats.

This is a picture I found on the internet.  Notice the ears and stubby tail?  This is similar to one if his cats.  The others had long tails.

el-diablo-1

We decided to buy the bike he had for sale.  He had experience working in bike shops and had fixed the bike up, to include a snazzy new paint job.

Pretty cool huh?

00K0K_MqMnwkdHQb_600x450

It’s a Trek brand.  Notice it’s a Key West Cruiser?   I don’t know if it is actually the type of bike or he just thought it sounded good, but its pretty appropriate, huh?   Tim completely re-did the bike, with new tires, seat, handlebar pads, basket, paint, and lights so that it’s street legal.  He re-painted it to look “Key Westy”.  No gears to mess up and it’s all aluminum so it shouldn’t rust, which is a good thing here near the saltwater.

I took it for a ride this morning and it rides so nice.  I guess he was right when he said it was a nice quality bike.  I love it.

We didn’t find a bike for Al yet.  Of course we could go to one of the many, many bike shops in Key West and buy a brand new one, but we’re looking for a nice used/cheap one.  Tim is going to help us find something.

We sat outside last night for happy hour.

I managed to get a picture of the campsite at night.

IMG_5175

I guess the red lights made the white table appear to be pink.

IMG_5181

14 comments:

  1. That's a great looking bike. And a basket too. If you got a trek cheap you're a lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just the right bike for around the campground.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks to be in nice shape and a very appropriate style for the intended use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. a good looking campsite, and a great looking bike. . .you are doing all the good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your new bike! Tim has to find one for Al that is just as cool looking.

    I forgot about your fancy led lights. Lighting is often an overlooked way to add beauty to your site.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lookin' mighty sporty there folks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good looking bike. I guess the need just never ends. Will you take them along to GA or will they stay with the boat?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the bike! What a cool paint job.

    The cat is adorable. I've never heard of a jungle curl cat either. A picture is very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the bike. I am all for old-fashion anything!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why get a bike for Al when you can ride him in that huge basket?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect bike for cruising around the Keys. Love the paint job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That paint job really is very fitting for being in the Keys. I think you got a really great deal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your bike - it looks so fun! Perfect for Margaritaville.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. We love to read them! To contact me directly you can send e-mail to rvtravels2@yahoo.com