Monday, November 24, 2014

The Poison Ivy Saga Continues

 

Wesley Chapel, Florida (high 85, low 68)

The weather is crazy.  It was cloudy and warm yesterday and rain and thunderstorms are possible for the next 3 days.  We’re hoping not to get anything severe.  Yep, I think this is going to be a wet and cool winter.

 

Thanks to everyone that offered  suggestions and moral support for Al and his latest bout of poison ivy.

The other night we tried a poultice made from turmeric and lime juice.  It seemed to help him that night and he did pretty well the next day. If he developed another itchy spot, I’d smear more of the turmeric on him.  The next day,  I went to the store and replenished my supply of turmeric thinking we had found the magic cure.   Of course that would be too easy.

That night it started driving him crazy again. He felt like it was internally as well as externally. He was getting the heebie jeebies and also getting extremely irritable.   I made another paste with my new turmeric and lime, but this time it burned his skin and and didn’t seem to relieve the itch or the heebie jeebies.  I wondered if the new turmeric I bought was more potent.

The worse he became, the grouchier he got and I was ready to strangle him.

We remembered (thanks to a comment yesterday from Jan) a product we had called Zanfel.   Our friend Barry gave Al a sample tube a a week or two ago.   Al used it once, but at that time he wasn’t having a big problem with the PI and he forgot about it until Jan reminded us.  Anyway, long story short, he had a little left in the tube and decided to try it again.   It stopped the itch and the heebie jeebies and he slept all night.  Yay!   of course he took 4 Benadryl)

We found some Zanfel at the grocery store, but the darn stuff is $40 for a 1 oz tube!   We hoped we could find it cheaper online and we did. I ordered two tubes for $20 each. Still a little expensive, but if it helps, it will be worth it.

While researching reviews for Zanfel, I found a review from a guy who gets PI constantly from his dogs.   That caught my attention since Al seems to get it the same way.    Anyway, this guy said he discovered another product called Mean Green.  It’s an industrial strength hand cleaner.   It has some of the same ingredients as Zanfel, and  has been working well for this guy preventing/stopping poison ivy.  He showers with it every day and has kept the PI at bay all summer.

Finally, we have hope.   People don’t realize what Al goes through with poison ivy.  He gets it 15-20 times a year I would guess.  Most bouts aren’t as bad as this one.

I’m posting this info on the blog because I know Al is not the only one that is a poison ivy magnet. 

Mean Green Hand Cleaner   I went ahead and ordered two jars.  $20 each and $12 shipping.  The shipping was the same for one jar as two, so I ordered two jars.  If it doesn’t help the PI, it will clean our hands!   I’ll let you know how it works.  It’s a 60 oz jar.

I can’t say for sure how it works, but there were several positive reviews about it and it’s worth a try for us.  It’s an industrial strength hand cleaner.

MG63S_01

 

Zanfel

zanfel-pi-pic2 

Zanfel has great reviews, but is almost $40 for a 1 oz tube.  I found it on E-bay much cheaper, so if you’re susceptible to poison ivy, you might want to have some on hand.

I ordered 2 tubes of this too, but in the meantime, we’re going to buy another tube.  We found it at Walmart for $35. 

 

We’re hoping the Mean Green will work so that Al can bathe with it and that it will prevent future break-outs. 

14 comments:

  1. I'm sure this has been asked, but has Al gone to a dermatologist for this, or a doctor? Perhaps prescription stuff is available that would be covered by your medical.
    Hope something happens soon for him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he's been to doctors quite a few times. The only thing they can give him is Prednisone which works but he doesn't like to use it too often.

      Delete
  2. Poison Ivy can be a VERY aggravating problem, the more one scratches, the more one wants to scratch. Does Al seem to have the affected areas in the general same location or does it appear on various parts of his body at different times? I am very allergic to PI and might get a touch of it on my hands annually, but usually know when I come into contact with it and try and not touch other parts of my body until my hands are thoroughly washed. Al appears to have an extreme allergy to this. Has Al seen a Dermatologist for a definite identification and has Shingles been given any consideration?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. several people have mentioned Shingles, but number one, Al has never had chicken pox, so he shouldn't be able to get shingles, and number two, it is just like the poison ivey he as gotten so many times before.

      Delete
  3. Try showering with Dawn Dish soap after being exposed. It cuts thru the oil of poison ivy. I use it whenever I work outside and its worked wonders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tried it! It hasn't worked now, but it might be good if he knows when he's exposed to it.

      Delete
  4. I hope you find a good solution once and for all. Poor Al, he sure is suffering. :c(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I had some great words of wisdom for Al but I've never had poison ivy (fingers crossed). Of course, I don't wander into the woods either. I suffer from mosquito bites so I really feel bad for Al. Hope all this stuff works to relieve his itching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with Al's treatment for PI. I only remember having it once when I was a Boy Scout and I was miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read Dr. Weil says hot water treatents help...hot as you can get it. Calms the nerve signals, itching down. I always go to him for suggestions. You might Google him. Wish the rhus tox could have helped. My girlfriends mom would cover her in oatmeal packs. I have some organic tea tree oil and honey soap. Neem lotion might help too. I can only imagine how miserable he must be....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read hot water helps and that it causes it to spread. All I know is that Al loves to shower with hot water. He claims it makes him feel much better. I'll try the tea tree oil and neem lotion. Can't hurt> Thanks for the suggestions.

      Delete
  8. I can empathize! I can just walk by it and get the rash within hours. Two things to try....anytime he is anywhere near the stuff he should wash all exposed skin with Fels Naptha soap. Any clothes should be washed in hot water with white vinegar used as you would fabric softener. Also take dishwashing liquid (with real lemon if you can find it is best) and just slather over the rash and let dry.. do not rinse! These are the things that work best for me, my husband does best with baking soda mixed with witch hazel made into a paste instead of the dish liquid. All are inexpensive and might be worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. I actually have some fels naptha soap and he has been using it. I'll try the vinegar as well as the lemon dishwashing soap. Anything is worth a try! Right now, the Zanfel seems to be working well....but even at $20 a tube, it's pretty pricey.

      Delete
  9. also meant to mention that for me, hot water makes it worse! And never, ever cover it! It can drive the poison into the bloodstream and that can cause internal itch feelings that will drive him crazy.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. We love to read them! To contact me directly you can send e-mail to rvtravels2@yahoo.com