Sunday, November 28, 2010

Step by Step in our Countdown to Fulltiming

We've been making progress in our preparation towards fulltiming, and getting things ready for our  trip to Florida for the winter.

A few weeks ago we went ahead and signed up for Directv's Distance Network Service.  I was a little confused about it, but now I think I've about got it figured out.  For an extra $15 a month, we will be able to get CBS, NBC, ABC, and Fox when we travel away from here.  Currently when we go just a few miles from home, and get away from the "spot beam", we lose those channels from our Directv satellite.  I was told it would take between 14 and 45 days to get it started, and a lot of people had a lot of trouble getting it done.

I know we could just put up our antenna and pick up the local over the air channels,  but Al and I have become spoiled after having our Tivo.  We don't watch commercials, unless on a rare occasion a cute one sneaks by.  Al prefers to watch his football game at least half an hour after they start, so that he can watch the game at his own pace and skip the commercials.  He can watch the play again only if he chooses and can slow mo, pause, or back up anytime he wants.  If we used our antenna for over the air channels, we'd lose the ability to buzz past commercials, pause or rewind live tv.  We're spoiled, so the extra $15 is worth it to have our Tivo all the time.

I've been checking to see if we got the DNS service connected, and today I found it had been done. That's one more step in the process of becoming fulltime rv'ers.  All I had to do is fill out a special waiver that I got directly from the Directv website and send a copy of the Motorhome registration.  It only took a few weeks to get it set up.  There is some kind of law stating you can only get this DNS service if you are mobile.  The DNS channels are located in the 380's.

Our Saturday garage sale went pretty well after getting off to a very slow start.  At one point I wondered if we'd get over $10.  It was cold, upper 30's but damp and windy.  We almost froze!  We did some price slashing and managed to get rid of one Christmas tree and decorations and a several small kitchen appliances.  We felt good when we left, and made about $72.  Not much money, but we got rid of a lot of stuff.  We also took a few boxes and dropped them off at Goodwill.  Next Saturday will be our last sale at the storage lot, unless we get a contract on the house and then I don't know what we'll do.  The advantage to having the sales in town is we attract a lot of drive by traffic that we wouldn't get at our home in the country.

We talked to a guy today that told us about a local man in town that buys furniture and household items for resale.  He will come to your house and make you an offer for everything.  I'm sure he won't pay top dollar, but it may be something to think about if we get in a jam.  If we were smart we would stay here for the winter and sell more stuff, but we just hate it here in the winter.  It's just too cold for our thin blood!  We may live to regret that decision, but Florida here we come!


9 comments:

  1. Every little bit of money helps. No sense giving everything away if you can help it.

    I agree that you would want the DNS. We haven't gotten it because the majority of our time is at our RV lot so we have the ability to pause, back-up, etc. all channels. We just raise the antenna when we are traveling if we want to watch regular TV - it works for us. I'm sure the extra $15 will keep you happy and will be money well spent. Can you suspend that service?

    Hopefully you won't end up losing too much money on your last minute furniture items etc. I can hardly wait until you get the Tuesday contract. I don't know whether to cross my fingers for you or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Florida sounds like a good place to be right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots to do for sure, but it seems you have everything under control and are making good progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although w are living in a house, we have very little TV coverage. We have an old Large Dish system, and about a month ago we lost one of the major satellite. We are down to just a few channels. We don't get local broadcasts because we don't have an antenna. We have had three and each was lost in wind storms.

    I have come to not miss TV. Craig watches some sports on the computer.

    I'm sure once we are on the road we will have more acess than we do now. We have never had Tivo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gee, Karen, it's fun to watch you planning and getting ready for full-timing. So many things to think of! I for one, am looking forward to your Florida trip, I know you'll have lots of fun things to share. Life is short, so the Florida trip sounds important to me. You could wait around forever for things to be perfect, and they never will be. Except hanging in your RV now and then in the balmy Florida winter air, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Step by step you guys keep getting closer. I love reading all the little hints and tips you discover as you prepare to hit the road!

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Step by step you guys keep getting closer. I love reading all the little hints and tips you discover as you prepare to hit the road!

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a Newbie, I am always searching online for articles that can help me. Thank you Wow! Thank you! I always wanted to write in my site something like that. Can I take part of your post to my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the helpful post! I would not have gotten this otherwise!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. We love to read them! To contact me directly you can send e-mail to rvtravels2@yahoo.com